The Newswire

Your daily serving of financial goodness

Hearts and Minds IPO: Aiming to make a positive impact

Hearts and Minds IPO: Aiming to make a positive impact
The coming $500 million IPO of Hearts and Minds Investments deserves attention, mainly because it serves a greater purpose.
Nov 13, 2018 By Simon Herrmann Tags: stocks, IPO, Impact Investing

Millennials are leading a global investment revolution, driving a change in how the super-rich invest their money.

According to a survey by Nuveen — one of the world’s largest investment managers — some 92 per cent of millennials agreed with the statement: “I care more about having a positive impact on society than doing well financially.”

Ethical and sustainable investing is booming and poised to accelerate. In fact, it is predicted that it will be one of the most important investment mega trends of the next decade.

The coming $500 million IPO of Hearts and Minds Investments deserves attention, mainly because it serves a greater purpose. Listing at $2.50 a share, Hearts and Minds offers investors exposure to a high-conviction portfolio of global equities from a selected group of fund managers such as Magellan, Regal or Caledonia, while also supporting Australian medical research institutes.

Fund managers and board members have waived their fees so the company can donate 1.5 per cent per annum of the average net asset value to a list of designated charities, regardless of performance. The rich backers of this float only participate as they expect to generate a healthy financial return, but combining these two goals is what modern investing looks like. At the time of listing the NAV is expected to be in line with the $2.50 offer price as all offer costs are paid by the Victor Chang Institute.

The company will allocate 60 per cent of the portfolio to stock picks from “star” fund managers and the other 40 per cent will be invested in recommendations presented at the Sohn Heart and Minds Investment Leaders Conference.

The success and profitability of the Hearts and Minds fund will depend on individual selections and there is a risk of capital loss just as with any other fund. But the concentration risk of the portfolio is somewhat limited due to the influence of a range of fund managers with different investment philosophies.

Overall, the IPO brings a high calibre team of fund managers with a strong track record of value creation while supporting a good cause. The float has been well marketed, and I hope this project delivers on its promise and prompt other fund managers to follow suit.

Hearts and Minds Investments

ASX code: HM1

Shares on offer: 200 million

Listing price: $2.50

Pro forma NAV: $2.50

Listing date: November 14

This article appeared first in The Australian. You can view the original article here.

Share this article

Simon Herrmann Author: Simon Herrmann Nov 13, 2018

Simon is a financial analyst at independent research firm Wise-owl specialised in small-mid cap growth opportunities and ethical investment opportunities. Simon's aim is to disrupt the cliché approach to investment decision making as he believes that socially and environmentally responsible behaviour is a necessity to long-term wealth creation. Simon has a deep fundamental understanding of the global financial landscape and has compiled 300+ research reports, valuations and corporate appraisals. Simon is commonly featured in major media outlets and his research is published weekly in The Australian.


Interested in IPOs? Bid directly here:

Loading...
Disclaimer: Clicking on this link will take you to a third-party website. We do not control or give advice regarding the content or links that appear on these sites and Wise-owl accepts no responsibility or liability in respect of any third party materials. Wise-owl may earn a commission from any product or service from third party websites.

Simble Solutions strikes Synnex distribution deal in IoT play

Sydney-based independent software vendor (ISV) Simble Solutions (ASX:SIS) has struck a distribution agreement with Synnex Australia that sees the energy technology-focused firm tap into the distributor’s network of more than 6,000 partners around the country.

Errors

Sign Up for Free Trial
Subscribe
Recent Tweets
Recent News